Home Worship With Us Church Information Church Programs Mission Activities Pastor's Blog Calendar Contact Us

Church Information

Church Information

Our History

Briarwood Presbyterian Church was the first church built in the undeveloped Briarwood area in 1955. It was sponsored by Fondren, First, and Trinity Presbyterian Churches under the leadership of Fondren Elder, Emil Harder. Members from those congregations met originally in the home of Fred and Bebe Wallace on Briarwood Drive. Each week the Wallace family rearranged their furniture for Sunday school classes and worship. Growth caused the congregation to meet in the McWillie Elementary School until the first sanctuary was erected in 1957. The present sanctuary was completed in 1974, and the fellowship hall was built in 1980. Central Presbyterian Church closed its doors in the summer of 1993 after ninety-nine years of service. Many of its members joined Briarwood helping to make it an even stronger church. In 2005 we celebrated 50 years of ministry. In the last five years we have completed two capital campaigns to fund the construction of a bell tower/connector between the sanctuary and fellowship hall, the renovation of our facilities, and a community outreach emphasis.

Our mission was and is to serve the neighborhood, especially providing Christian education for adults, youth, and children. Briarwood's four hundred members include people throughout the metropolitan area. Some of the successful congregational programs which are in effect now include weekly Pastor's Bible Study classes, Wednesday Night Fellowship programs and children's ministries, an active youth group, monthly Saints Alive luncheon for senior citizens, Summer Adventure (an inner-city Vacation Bible School Mission), Habitat for Humanity, in addition to other local and world missions. We emphasize Bible study in our Sunday classes and in Vacation Bible School which includes the whole family. Presbyterian Women is one of the most active groups in the church, deeply involved in mission and the every day work of the church.

Briarwood's congregation strives to be a loving, supportive church family warmly accepting of newcomers. Our church family welcomes any who are mentally and physically challenged. Because of special people in our congregation, former pastor Dr. George C. Anderson and the Briarwood Handicapped Ministries Task Force wrote What Christian Believe: Confirmation Studies for Persons with Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities. It is available through the denomination publishing house.

Rooms in the educational building house memorabilia of Briarwood's history. Visitors and members are invited to see portraits in the library of the Pastors, Associate Pastors, and Interim Pastors who have served Briarwood. The Heritage room displays pictures of our early history.

The mission of Briarwood Presbyterian Church continues to be faithful to the Lord Jesus Christ in worship, education, and ministry.